Friday, November 19, 2010

Sighs of relief

This Tuesday we finished up our three week project of portraiture work. 

Everyone hung up their portraits on the wall and was struck right away with the quality of work that everyone produced.  Going left to right around the room we started with Paul's drawings of Megan, Evan, and Evan.  His style really reminded me of Greek or Roman busts.  They where somewhat stiff, formal, and oozing a sort of benevolent confidence.  My favorite drawing of his was of Evan (other Evan) which he seemed to dislike a lot.  We went on to Josh next with his very detailed clean drawings.  I like how alive his drawings seemed to be and his amazing line weight variations which helped them to pop out at you.  Out of all the drawings Jordan's where by far my favorite because of their insane size (he chose a paper size that was a least twice what everyone else decided to draw on) and the style he drew with.  They where worlds different from when I last saw them in class.  He added detailed hair and shading to all of them.  In many ways I was disappointed he did this as the one with Josh was insane just the way it was without hair detail or shading.  The careful lines and correct anatomy shouted perfection by themselves.

I was really happy with the way that my drawings turned out.  Going to the open drawing session on Tuesday nights really helped me in this project to keep my eye trained and muscle memory lean and mean.  The first drawing I did of Megan was obviously the first one done in the series as it is so different from the style I settled into on the second and third of Paul and Evan.  The drawing of Paul was surprisingly easy and fun to do.  I liked how the neck and eyes turned out on this drawing.  Evan was very hard to draw looking down at him but I think it turned out looking like him.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Spare change is appreciated.